RE: reporting evidence of learning in informal settings

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at udel.edu)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:59:24 -0500

Hello Graham and everybody--

I share your concerns about the concept of "mastery." In my view, mastery
(like learning) is a social construction/negotiation of putting values on
some (recognized) types of participation. Using Etiene Wenger's terminology
from his recent book on Community of Practice, mastery is reification of
valuing (and, of course, devaluing). Your examples of kids' reports on
their learning and formal tests reveal social construction/negotiation
character of mastery. Neither mastery nor learning exist "out there"
waiting to be measured by smart scientists.

What do you think?

Eugene