Re: new year's (re)solutions

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
8 Jan 1999 15:36:54 -0000

I simply want to thank Bill Barowy for the provocative
set of reflections on time -- I found it very helpful
for conceptualizing the problem in this way: as both
superficial non-event/ the spot at which _we_ come to know
a world AND as the very soul of suffering fools like we.

And I want to thank Phillip for his careful thinking about
the problem of the subject in AT. I also believe that
Yrjo's diagram needs to be redrawn to encompass the researcher.
Maybe there should be no Activity System (AS) re-presented without
its interlocking Alter-AS as seen from the researcher's view when
the subject of system1 becomes the object of system2 That's one
problem. The other, as has been discussed here before, is
working out the relations between meaning-making at different levels
and the action/activity of which it's part. Diane's contribution
to MCA is an excellent point of reference for re-thinking the terms
of AT. So thanks, Phillip.

Judy

At 08:44 PM 1/6/99 -0700, you wrote:

> i have been reflecting on Mike's request for suggestions about
>topics to discuss for some time now - and i'd like to consider the
>relationship of the subject and the object in the activity theory triangle
>- Yrgo's - which is illustrated in Cultural Psychology (p. 284), along
>with Wertsch's discussion in Mind as Action, chapter four, Mediated
>Action and chapter five, Appropriation and resistance, along with D.C.
>Hodges' MCA journal article about how she came to resist the practice of
>early childhood teacher.
>
> a big chunk, but allow me to give a narrative to contextualize
>this suggestion.
>
> story:
> an eight year old girl moved into a new neighborhood in
>Colorado, from California. the neighborhood allowed for horses to be
>stabled on residential property, and the girl, Sarah, was given a horse by
>her parents to help soften the blow of lost friends and family connections
>in California.
>
> Sarah developed a great passion for horses as she learned for care
>for her horse. at school, she was a third grader, Sarah's teacher
>assigned a research project to his students. the research had to focus on
>a mammal, to Sarah's delight, and she decided to study horses.
>
> over the next three weeks Sarah read extensively and took copious
>notes. she didn't really pay much attention to the due date, until she
>realized it was the next day. she was faced that evening with books still
>to be read and note cards to organize. realizing she couldn't complete
>the report she had envisioned, she went to the encyclopedia, and rewrote
>in her own words what was written about horses. she went to bed in tears,
>feeling a failure, miserable, unhappy with her paper.
>
> a week later the teacher handed back the papers, save one. it was
>Sarah's. then he read it aloud to the class as an example of a superior
>paper. he graded it an A+.
>
> as years passed by, and Sarah reflected upon this event, she
>realized that as her paper was being read that she would never again put
>in the effort she had put in for her report on horses. instead, she would
>learn as much as she could about what it was the teacher wanted, and do
>only that.
>
>_______________________________________
>
> end of story.
>
> i relate this to all that we've talked about recently about how we
>as teachers grade students's work - as well as Cole & Wertsch & Hodges.
>
> if Sarah's teacher had not used the report as an artifact of
>learning, if instead he had investigated the activity that Sarah had been
>engaged in through the writing of the report, his assessment and hence
>evaluation might have been very different.
>
> i relate this to the activity triangle - in Mike's book the
>triangle on page 284 focused on the subject being the individual readers,
>and the object 'reading for meaning'.
>
> i am wondering is instead of the researcher placing her/him self
> [...]

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

Eternity is in love with the productions of time - Wm Blake