Re: Groping toward the future

Molly Freeman (mollyfreeman who-is-at telis.org)
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 10:29:44 -0800

Alfred,

I very much appreciate your remarks. If I read them correctly they remind me of
what the editor of WIRED magazine calls "critical optimism." As I think I have a
more optimistic view of what is becoming than do many members of this list, your
remarks also make me think of John Holland's (1994) line, complex adaptive
systems often have to "unlearn" what they know best, or "let go" of what they
know best, in order to learn new ways to make the system better.

I doubt that I will make many friends with this, but I do believe downward
mobility is staring us (faculty) in the face and we do need to learn some new
ways of functioning in the world, perhaps learning to use new tools, that will
make the system(s) better. What I have enjoyed most on this list are the
contributions regarding "learning." What if Fifth Dimension practices were to be
more extensively applied? Forge partnerships to create new forms of schooling.
Become prepared to go out on our own, beyond the halls of traditional academe? At
the very least begin to prepare students to do so.

Events at the annual meeting of the Modern Language Association this past week
illustrate how "radical" graduate students are arguing for an old model, from a
former set of circumstances. They are kicking and screaming because they don't
want change. From the perspective of this graduate student of the 60's and 70's
today's radicals are like "the reversal of spin of the waterwheel or in a
convecting fluid," they have become conservatives. They only want employ in the
"traditional" tenured, vertically stratified university. Or, they don't
understand that the employ they seek is pretty much interdependent with tightly
bounded disciplines, where open inquiry or diversity of thought and expression
among students and faculty has not been so highly honored. For more information
on the MLA meeting see the January 8 issue of the Chronicle of Higher Ed, or
visit http://chronicle.com.

Just for fun, try doing a search on the Chronicle of Higher Ed site for "faculty
fear."

M. Freeman