Re: Christmas bells, Iron bells

Jay Lemke (jllbc who-is-at cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 13:54:51 -0500

At 12:32 PM 12/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Edgar Allan Poe's poem _The Bells_ reminds us of many sounds from bells of
>different size (scale?) and metal ...
>
>_Snoopy's Christmas_ (pop music song) narrates the power of Christmas bells
>to bring out the best in our natures ...
>
>Ken's account of truncated Bell curves in Texas brings to mind the tolling
>of the iron bells, sounding the death of opportunity for young people who
>cannot all be 'above average' in their exploitability ...

AND THE SHAPE OF THE CURVE KEN DESCRIBES IS KNOWN IN PHYSICS AND
ENGINEERING AS A "HI-PASS FILTER" ... the very heart and soul of the Great
Sorting Process, on which more later ... JAY.

JAY L. LEMKE
PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION
CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
JLLBC who-is-at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU