Re: deaf children/ninos sordos

Tane Akamatsu (tanea who-is-at ibm.net)
Sun, 06 Dec 1998 19:55:34 -0500

While not exactly addressing the question of mediation per se, and at the
risk of sounding like I'm tooting my own horn (which I am, a bit, I'll
admit), there are other references that do address deaf children's
learning from a Vygotskian perspective. By and large, they deal with face
to face language and literacy.

Akamatsu, C.T., and Musselman, C. (1998). Development and use of a
communication proficiency interview with deaf adolescents. In M. Marschark
and M.D. Clark (Eds.), Psychological perspectives on deafness, volume 2
(pp. 265-301). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Mayer, C., & Wells, G. (1996). Can the linguistic interdependence theory
support a bilingual-bicultural model of literacy education for deaf
students? Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 1, 93-107.

Akamatsu, C.T. & Andrews, J.M. (1993). It takes two to be literate:
Literacy interactions between parent and child. Sign Language Studies, 81,
333-360.

Akamatsu, C.T., & Stewart, D. (1992). Socially constructing language use
for cognitive empowerment in deaf children. Curriculum and Teaching:
International Review of Curriculum and Instruction, 7 (2), 1-12.

Bonkowski, N., Gavelek, J., & Akamatsu, C.T. (1991). Education and the
social construction of mind: Vygotskian perspectives on the cognitive
development of deaf children (pp 185-194). In: D. Martin (Ed.). Advances
in cognition, education, and deafness. Washington, DC: Gallaudet
University Press.

Other publications to be on the look out for:

Akamatsu, C.T. (in press). Thinking with and without language: What is
necessary and sufficient for school-based learning? In: A. Weisel (Ed.),
Issues unresolved: New perspectives on language and Deaf Education.
Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.

Akamatsu, C.T., and Musselman, C., with Zwiebel, A. (in press). Nature
vs. nurture in the development of cognition in deaf people. In: Spencer,
P.E., Erting, C.J., & Marschark, M. (Eds.), The deaf child in the family
and at school. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Mayer, C. & Akamatsu, C.T. (in press). Bilingual-Bicultural Models of
Literacy Education for Deaf Students: Considering the Claims. Australian
Journal of the Education of the Deaf, 4. To be reprinted in Journal of
Deaf Studies and Deaf Education.

Connie Mayer may have others in press, as well. Janet Jamieson from
University of British Columbia also does work in this vein, but I don't
have citations handy. She is in the Dept of Educational Psychology there,
and I'm sure she's contactable by e-mail (don't have that, either, I'm
afraid).

Hope this helps.

Tane Akamatsu