Re: school, work, and education - realism/idealism in AT

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
5 Dec 1998 21:51:55 -0000

Louise, Phil, and others,
Instead of responding to specifics, which I can't
do, since I haven't done research in this area, I'd like to
respond to the tension between realism and idealism that I
think Activity Theory foregrounds pretty well, and
the privileging of one over the other. In my reading, and
I am confident I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, Activity theory
privileges the ideal as the driving spirit of
practice. This preference makes sense to me.
I once wrote on the front of a t-shirt,
Realism Corrupts
And I wrote on the back of the t-shirt an expansion of that
(Absolute Realism.....)
This imaginative (read unrealistic) stance felt right
(and still feels right) to the adolescent me. Activity Theory
has provided an important corrective lens. Our ideals only
_mean_ in dialectic tension w/ real practices. (I learned this
kind of late...!)

Phil wrote:
>Realism is not the sole property of business life. Market logic and
>education are at odds with one another where societal outcomes are concerned.

On this, I agree with Phil. It is important to remember that what is real
is construed in practice. There is no inevitable end-point, is there?
The corporate model which is driven by "fast-capitalism" is
familiar to me in the climatic shifts within my own institution
as I am sure it is to the rest of you in yours. I, frankly, don't
like it. I like to be driven (I AM driven) but I do NOT want and
WILL not drive myself to drive myself. The chassis doesn't run
without an imaginative horizon, a "good" to strive for or to
inform whatever object is in view.

Right now, the "good" explicitly advanced by my administration
is defined by visible, countable outcomes, dollars and numbers
of awards and applause (immediate and wide-as-possible recognition
of persons in any (non-criminal?) capacity. The "good" in my mind
is not "MORE OF xxx" but an imagined transformation of xxx.
A fast-capitalist model feeds off image, not vision.

Nevertheless, I agree with Louise Y., that reality demands we take
a capitalist perspective as ONE lens on what we are about -- that is,
we have to keep in mind the pressure on public educational institutions
no longer supported by state dollars to survive somehow. And that requires
that we look for and exploit the constructive potential of the marketplace.

Anyone care to translate that position into AT terms?
Judy

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

Eternity is in love with the productions of time - Wm Blake