Re: new book/Valsiner

Rachel Heckert (heckertkrs who-is-at juno.com)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 05:03:08 -0500

Peter,

>Peter,
>can you give us a quick synopsis of Valsiner's thesis please? I'm most
interested in what factors Valsiner thinks guides the mind.
>Phil

Ditto for me. What I've read by him so far has gone a long way toward
clarifying other approaches to human development besides the usual
"botanical" models taught in convenitonal courses, and by tying them in
to specific circumstances which the child meets.

Many thanks

Rochel Sara Heckert

>a teleological sceptic
>
>At 16:23 23-11-98 -0500, you wrote:
>>I just got my copy of a great new book, Jaan Valsiner's The Guided
>Mind: A
>>Sociogenetic Approach to Personality (Harvard UP, 1998). Complete
>with
>>cover blurbs by Mike C. and me. It's on the dense side, but should be
>>major contribution to cultural psychology, I think. I recommend it
>for the
>>MCA book reviews and also for general (though not lite) reading.
>>
>>Peter
>>

>Phil Graham
>pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au
>http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]