minor point on Locke

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:13:17 -0800

At 8:42 AM 11/23/98, Phil Graham wrote:

>Locke's theory of politics layed the "rational" foundation for (modern)
>value-neutral technocratic structures.
>
>My point is that diversity _is_ the human condition (perhaps that of life)
>and so requires no further definition or promotion. It's a first principle,
>I think.

whatever the ideological effect of Locke's many thoughts, in his letter on
identiy and diversity his

,snip. point is that diversity _is_ the human condition (perhaps that of life)
>and so requires no further definition or promotion. It's a first principle,
>I think.

I think I am a newbie to the classics, and so, ya know, thinking about what
they said, and how nothing ever changes, and how so maybe there is
something to be gleaned from 'em, however white and
patriarchal-misogynistic they were, their *intentions* were, historically,
honourable. So.

I currently think that Kant rocks, man! ha ha
but relevance is missing here, so 'scuse the interruption.
diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street