Re: Re(2): Hair shirts, self-flagellation, and equality

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:47:19 -0800

At 1:34 PM 11/22/98, nate wrote:

>I guess my concern is, is reflection enough. In reference to
>teachers it would be, will a reflective middleclass teacher be
>enough to reach all kids or do we need teachers from a variety
>of experiences.

of course in school contexts, we need look no further than the students
themselves
for reflective minority experience. Making apparent their own oppressive
treatment of each other might be more sensible than finding ways for
teachers to assume the prescriptive role.

complicating identity means - materially - dealing with people face to face.
kids do it all the time. the older the kids, the more complex their usses
of identity become. why can't this be the field of study?

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street