Re: Hair shirts, self-flagellation, and equality

Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:04:49 -0300

Yes, the expression "minorities" is a knife that has two cutting=20
edges. But it seems there's a difference between the term "excluded" and=20
the expression "minorities". Some "minorities" are not indeed "excluded"=20
as you pointed out.

Recently TVs' brazilian stations show children under 3 years old working=20
in an improved fabric of mandioca flour in northwest of Brazil (country=20
area of Pernambuco - a brazilian state colonized during some time by=20
netherlands). They (children) use knifes better than some adults. (It=20
was shown that childhood is cultural determined). That's an ugly feature=20
of capitalism. Their parents receive U$ 50,00 per mounth with their=20
help. Without children help the parents could earn very less money.=20
Public Power could not solve that situation constraining their parents=20
to put them in schools because family gains would not be enough to eat!
=20
There are other terrible situation like the "slave-workers" in dend=EA=20
farms in Amaz=F4nia. They can never pay, with the money they receive as=20
payment for their work, things they buy to EAT in the farm "market"=20
(witch owner is the farmer).

In Rio and Sao Paulo, big cities of Brazil, there's a permanent "civil=20
war" between police and drug trafic. Many young black poor men die every=20
day (and white middle class white people victims of lost missiles).
That's a parallel State governed by traficants who give social=20
assistance, medical care, food and job to poor people who lives in=20
"favelas" - comunity improved built in the top of hills that surrounds=20
Rio.

One thing is to look to someone "different" from an above-below=20
perpective. Other is to look at them "face to face".