Re: Please tell us!

Louise Yarnall (lyarnall who-is-at ucla.edu)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:14:59 -0800

My experience was similar. Noticed that the traffic was unusually low in
my e-mail basket at first. Then I noticed that xcma was missing. Then I
began to wonder what happened. I wondered if the list had been dissolved
for some official reason and I had missed it because I hadn't read some of
my messages. Then I started getting the news that things were amiss.

Louise

At 02:02 PM 11/19/98 +0100, you wrote:

>With the help of the xfamily who-is-at weber.ucsd. edu and a number of helpful
>informants Bill Barowy and I have been reconstructing "the great xmca
>brownout" that occasioned the recent "hands up" celebration of being,
>again, all "here".
>
>As a problem of distributed cognition we find the brownout fascinating --
>how did people notice there was something amiss (IF they noticed), and WHAT
>did they think the matter was. For my own part I know it took several days
>of me just thinking the list was quiet, then thinking something was wrong
>just with my own subscription. The extent of the problem had only just
>started dawning on me at the point when the sysadmins had fixed the bug.

Louise Yarnall
Freelance writer & Research assistant
UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Science
* Work: 310/794-9137
* Pager: 818/474-5536
* Home Office: 818/342-6760
* Home Fax: 818/342-0751