RE: Refs. on support for disadvantaged school children

Windward, Rolfe (windward who-is-at lindsey.edu)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:09:32 -0600

I'm not sure of refs but Steve might look up a neighbor here in central
Kentucky, Berea College. Founded over a century ago by abolitionists and
educational reformers it was one of the first in the South to
intentionally integrate ethnic groups, develop a comprehensive
work-study program (students integrate work and study by way of also
paying their tuition) and employ a reverse means test: only
academically able students who can't really afford to go to college are
accepted.