FW: rules of the game

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 12:56:08 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricardo Ottoni [mailto:rjapias@ibm.net]
Sent: Friday, November 06, 1998 11:38 PM
To: ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu
Subject: Re: rules of the game

> Actually, I do not fully agree with that. It can be much better to
control
> people who can read and write.

Yes, you're right.

I remember reading an article in the early
> 1980s or end 1970s in an educational UNESCO journal (I forgot it's titl=
e,
it
> is not "Culture") by a Spanish educator arguing that one of the first
> concerns of totalist regimes to establish mass education and mass
literacy.
> According to the author, a totalitarist government can't control minds=
of
> illiterate people as effectively as literate people. The author gave
> examples of Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Spain, China, and Cuba. In
other
> words, literacy and (school) education can be not only a road to paradi=
se
> (i.e., critical thinking, membership in intellectual middle-class) as
people
> of entlightment predicted but also to hell.

Yes, I do think so.

Totalitarist regimes,
> neo-colonization, and cultural genocide of minorities are sad examples =
of
> the latter.
>
> However, it seems to me that known authoritative dictatorial regimes of
> Central and Southern America and Africa seem to differ from the
totalitarist
> regimes in this point by not caring about mass education and mass
literacy.

Not only the totalitatist countries can control people through mass
education and literacy...

But, you're right, in South America capitalism is much more primitive
and violent... Now-a-days the midia power had decrease the
impunity and autoritarism of "democratic" governments although the midia
can control people perception and opinion in some way.

> Is it fair to say?

Yes, I think.

Interesting. Any ideas why?

"electoral stables" are very comom, specially in states where there are
many people not literated. Candidates exchange votes to money, health
care, building material etc. To vote, at least in Brazil, is something
one does constrained by law. There is not a free sistem of voting. You
have to vote. Many people do not really believe in cadidates or in
democracy (whith has its piece of totalitarism) since people are
governed by the State of Law.

Anarchists are minority here.

> > It's a complex issue and my limited english embaraces me. But me too,
> > when playing teacher/professor role, try to reduce damage and harm to
> > them.
>
> I, maybe naively, believe that it is possible as well -- otherwise, I'd
> change the profession.

I specially like teach in public school (much more diversity)

I agree with you that the issue is complex. I'd love
> to hear more from you on this issue!
>
> > I like the metaphor used by Ricardo Baqueiro in "Vygotsky and school
> > learning" (an aproximative traduction of his book title in portuguese=
)
> > when he says new role of teachers now-a-days, since a vygotskian
> > perspective, is something like a "trafic policiman" (trafic cop) tryi=
ng
> > to avoid colision of different meaning utterances and cultural
> > determined perceptions and values.
>
> What a wonderful metaphor! Thanks, Ricardo. Do you know if the book i=
> available in English or Russian?

I'm not sure, but in spanish his book is called:
"Vygotsky y el aprendizaje escolar". Buenos Aires, Argentina: Aique
Grupo Editor S.A., 1996 (Cap. 6, p. 136)

I'll pass the metaphor to my students.

I'd like to read texts written by you. Is there any in your HP? What's
your HP address?

> Take care,
>
> Eugene
> ----------------------
> Eugene Matusov
> School of Education
> University of Delaware
> Newark, DE 19716
> Office (302) 831-1266
> Fax (302) 831-4445
> email ematusov who-is-at udel.edu
> Website http://ematusov.eds.udel.edu/
> -------------------------

my
> > > students... -- although it is up to them to judge.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > It's a complex issue and my limited english embaraces me. But me too,
> > when playing teacher/professor role, try to reduce damage and harm to
> > them.
> >
> > I like the metaphor used by Ricardo Baqueiro in "Vygotsky and school
> > learning" (an aproximative traduction of his book title in portuguese=
)
> > when he says new role of teachers now-a-days, since a vygotskian
> > perspective, is something like a "trafic policiman" (trafic cop) tryi=
ng
> > to avoid colision of different meaning utterances and cultural
> > determined perceptions and values.
> > >
> > > Eugene
> > > ----------------------
> > > Eugene Matusov