RE: Remembering the future and the telso of development

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:30:53 -0500

Hi everybody--

I have a pile of XMCA messages that I'm reading in the chronological order.
I want to comment on Mike's question mentioned by Gordon. This is how the
past enters (or interrupts?) into the present :-)

My parents were afraid to change their jobs because they knew that the size
of their pension would depend of number years that they spent with one job.
When they retired the Soviet Union collapsed together with their pensions
and rewards for working on one place. I remember that they criticized me
for changing jobs during my early teaching career in the Soviet Union.

However, I do not think that this example is a good illustration of one
"remembering future" but rather one "knowing future." For me, "the future
enter into remembering" when I'm saying that I was right and my parents were
wrong -- the consecutive events change the meaning of the past events.

What do you think?

Eugene
Eugene Matusov
School of Education