RE: unit of analysis

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:51:47 -0400

Hi Jim and everybody--

I respectively disagree with Jim about Vygotsky. In my view, Vygotsky
argued that unit of analysis is defined by the nature of the studied
phenomenon rather than by the specific nature of academic practice. Although
I agree with Jim that Vygotsky seemed to value highly academic freedom and
discussion, in my view, Vygotsky was much less relativist, contextualist,
and dialogist as Jim presents but rather universalist. I think it can be
interesting to discuss the notion of unit of analysis in Latorian approach
to science. It also interesting to know what Ken Gergen thinks about the
issue. Feminist approaches seem also to be able to contribute with
interesting insights.

What do you think?

Eugene