RE: Diversity?

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:39:42 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Graham [mailto:pw.graham@student.qut.edu.au]
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 1998 7:29 AM
To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Diversity?

The thing that bugs me about the terminology, and this is a two-sided coin
is, firstly, I agree with Jay's statement. The difficulty is bringing
social inequities into the public consciousness without petrifying it as a
"thing", a technocratic terminology by which administrators can claim a
left-leaning stance while encoding and interpellating racial and
differential hatred into the public discourse.

As (The Rev. Left) is wont to say: What to do, what to do?

A focus on difference promotes a heightened sense of difference. What's the
effect of this? Not acceptance, it would seem, but ultimately increased
tension.

My experience is difference in America is always put to some form of
measurement. Often when we acknowledge difference the American's initial
response is to put it in some form of hierarchy. Acknowledging difference
is often seen in the context of how to assimilate one into middleclass
culture. For example, the response to the cultural differences in learning
if often translated as how we can best fix or fit those learning styles into
the way "middle-class" children learn. Some conclude that when teaching
about other cultures if you don't put the cultures in a hierarchy with
America on top, you are teaching america is bad or denying America its
rightful place

Secondly, there has never been a country in known history that wasn't
"multicultural" in the true sense of the word (I may be totalising here,
not knowing much about the Northern European countries like Norway, but I
think there has been intercultural interaction there too for years.

This reminded me of a class I took with a group of mostly white women
attempting to convince themselves of their diversity. Diversity has become
a bandwagon everyone wants to be on. There is an element of intercultural
action everywhere but it is not always mutual collaboration. America has
been affected by many cultures, but those in power chose what aspects they
want to assimilate. The intercultural interaction is not a mutual process
it is controlled by those in power. Diversity is a threat because it offers
competing ideologies to those in power.

As for less developed cultures, like New Guinea, for instance, 99 languages
are spoken there, and the cultural differences are huge from area to area.

If a doctrine of difference is propounded, difference becomes the catch cry
and focus of attention. If one remains silent, inequities abound. If one
speaks out, inequities flourish. Tokenism is, to me, many more times cruel
than exclusion. Exclusion is, however, unthinkably inequitous.

As (The Rev. Left) is wont to say: What to do, what to do?

Phil
perplexedly

Phil Graham
pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au