Re: Mind in Action: 1

Martin ELLISON (martin who-is-at mpce.mq.edu.au)
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 20:36:06 +1000

Difficult one this. Buddhism has its social teachings as to the duties
of different members of society, and in particular the Community of
monks and nuns. Buddhists are encouraged to feel and apply compassion
and kindness both to themselves and to others; there are various
meditations to assist this. The nature of the individual was a matter of
considerable debate historically but reduction of ego is a major
objective in all traditions. The subject of antimonies in Mahayana is
difficult and fills many volumes.

I haven't wanted to push this thread too much as this of course is not a
Buddhist list and I try to stay on topic. Also I avoid technical terms
in obscure languages.

Tane Akamatsu wrote:
> Hard to answer. Not being a Buddhist scholar, I don't want to go on any
> kind of official record about this. But my folk-understanding is that we
> are individual souls but simultaneously part of a greater one-ness. This
> is where karma comes in. We build karma in our daily lives because of
> what we do/think/feel toward others. So in this sense there is a highly
> individualistic bent toward the soul and where karma ends up.....

> Any other Buddhists out there who can help me out? I don't think it
> matter which wheel....Maybe I'm thinking along the wrong lines.
> Rachel Heckert wrote:
> > Tane, what's the Mahayana take on this? Is there an "antinomy?"
> > Nate wrote:
> > >Wetsch sees Burke as offering some important insights in avoiding the
> > >individual/ social antinomy.

Martin