Lileth

Peter Smagorinsky (smago who-is-at peachnet.campus.mci.net)
Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:27:59 -0400

A class I'm currently teaching has begun the question of how the literature
canon came to be formed, and one of my colleagues pointed out that the idea
of a canonical version of something originated with the effort to take the
various biblical stories and create an official, standard Bible for the
ages. One character who was airbrushed out of the picture was Lileth
(a.k.a. Lilleth and other names), after whom the Lilleth Fair concert tour
is named. I'll next post both a www site and the information it includes.
Imagine how history would have unfolded if Lilleth, and not Eve, had made
the final cut.

>http://www.anatomy.su.oz.au/danny/anthropology/sci.anthropology/archive/feb
ruary-1995/0587.html

Re: Who is Lileth?2

nitrous who-is-at ccnet.com
Sat, 18 Feb 95 10:19:53 PDT=20

ge:
Richard Spear: "Re: Peking Man" =95Previous message:
BD81245 who-is-at bingvmb.cc.binghamton.edu: "Re: Illegal Demonstration proposal for
Rutgers (fwd)"=20

In article <D449LB.JK3 who-is-at utu.fi>, <jkivela@utu.fi> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is the right group for this kind of discussion.
Anyway,=20
> it's an interesting legend since it tries to punish women just because=
they=20
> are independent. In that case it also tells us something, not very=20
flattering,=20
> about Christianity.=20

You definitley got a point there! But probabley not the best group to talk=
=20
about religious preferences.
I found some other references to her, so here they are:
Adam's first wife, Lilith, was an early rabbinical attempt to assimilate=
thhe=20
Sumero-Babylonian Goddess Belit-ili, or Belili, to Jewish mythology. To the=
=20
Canaanites, Lilith was Baalat, the "Divine Lady". On a tablet from Ur, ca.
2000=20
B.C.E. she was addressed as Lillake. (Graves & Patai, 68) Hebraic tradition=
=20
said Adam married Lilith because he grew tired of coupling with beasts, a=20
common custom of Middle-Eastern herdsmen, though the Old Testament declared
it=20
a sin (Deuteronomy 27:21). Adam ttried to force Lilith to lie beneath him in=
=20
the "missionary position" favored by male-dominant society. Moslems were so=
=20
insistent on the male-superior position that they said "Accursed be the man
who=20
maketh woman heaven and himself earth" (Edwards, 157) Catholic authorites
said=20
any sexual position other than the male-superior one is sinful. But Lillith=
=20
was neither a Moslem or a Catholic. She sneered at Adam's sexual crudity,=20
cursed him, and flew away to make her home by the Red SEa. God sent angels=
to=20
fetch Lilith back, but she cursed them too. She spent her time coupling with=
=20
"demons" and giving birth to a hundred children a day. so God had to produce=
=20
Eve as Lilith's more docile replacement.There have been many connections=20
between Lilith and the Etruscan divinity Leinth, who had no face and who
waited=20
at the gate of the underworld with Eita and Persipnei to receive the souls=
of=20
the dead (hays, 183). Admission to the underworld was often mythologized as=
a=20
sexual union. The lily or lilu (lotus) was the Great Mother's flower-yoni,=
=20
whose title formed Lilith's name.
The story of Lilith disappeared from the canonical Bible, but her daughters,=
=20
the lilim haunted men for over a thousand years. Well into the middle ages
the=20
Jews were still making amulets to keep away the lilum, who were lustful
demons=20
who copulated with men in their sleep, causing nocturnal emmisions. Greeks=
=20
adopted the lilim and called the Lamiae, Empusae (Forcers-in) or Daughters=
of=20
Hecate. Christians also adopted them and called the harlots of hell, or=20
succubae, the female counterparts of incubi. Even if a male child laughed in=
=20
his sleep, people said Lilith was fondling him. To protect baby boys against=
=20
her, chalk circles were draen around cradlles with the written names of the=
=20
three angels God sent to fetch Lilith back to Adam. Some said men and babies=
=20
should not be left alone in a house or Lilith might seize them. (Cavendish,=
=20
P.E., 99).