Re: linguistically informed curricula and pedagogies

Ken Goodman (kgoodman who-is-at u.arizona.edu)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:15:58 -0700

The group that wrote the Language in the National Curriculum document
were selected to exclude any well known language and literacy educator
in Britain. In spite of that they wrote a reasonably balanced document.
Had it been published it probably would have been treated as a
compromize position- better than what most expected by still several
steps backward. When it was shelved and not published it stirred a lot
of interedt = people wanted to know what those leading the attack on
literacy education found objectionable in a compromise document. This is
eerily echoed in California. The committee to rewrite the language arts
framework produced a document far less balanced than LINC but it too was
rejected by the State Board of Education and a contract for a new, and
far less balanced framework was given to Ed Kameenui- part of the Distar
crown at U Oregon.

Hope this helps
Ken Goodman