P.S. - re: linguistically informed etc.

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
31 Aug 1998 23:54:21 -0000

I wrote:

>Nor am I looking for instruction
>informed by any particular theory of language, but rather, one
>that treats the way words work, the way texts operate at 'lower'
>as well as 'higher' levels, as a key to understanding content.

Another way in, I'm on a search for pedagogies that have
been organized around critical insights into meaning-making/
grammatical concepts/semiotic principles as a way of
heightening students awareness of what they and others
do or may do with words.

OR pedagogies that use linguistic knowledge as a focus of
instruction, as, say, Walt Wolfram uses the notion of dialect
to raise awareness about ways of speaking (and so to illuminate
the social world at a deeper level).

Judy

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183