Re: trade in signs, identity, and trust

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:54:59 +0200

At 22.53 +1000 98-08-10, Phil Graham wrote:
>It's disturbing to me that, under the illusion (delusion) of autonomy, I
>make sense of a largely heteronomous life retroactively. Herein lies one
>meaning of (irrational) rationality.

And

At 22.53 +1000 98-08-10, Phil Graham wrote:
>so exchange-value becomes the
>mediating value and quantitative measure of all relationships, thus
>rendering - however abstractly - incommensurable things - all things
>commensurable.

Disturbing times, yes, time's disturbing: a piece of my lifetime in
exchange for yours. Some of it for reading, some of it for writing:
reciprocity maintenance. And who says this time is even mine to spend on
the xmca?

Disturbing, too, when the time I spend in the present on maintaining my
past for stumbling less awkwardly into the future may also not be mine to
spend: in case it exceeds the minimum of mindcare and bodycare I need for
continued productivity.

Obliquely yours
Eva