Re: Contexts recontextualized

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
29 May 1998 21:06:48 -0000

Eva, Naoki, Eugene, John, Ilias, and everyone else,

I hope my last note did not aggravate misunderstandings.
I have posted the last few notes in haste, and this
one will also be a hasty but needed elaboration of the
last. I was trying to say that it makes no sense to
demand that blinders be removed before we speak because
it is only in the encounter that they CAN be removed.
I was also trying to imagine the position of a veteran of
the Vietnam war, knowing that even a white male would not
be privileged there.

I'm wondering if, just as we presuppose our many selves to
imagine decentering/recentering, & recontextualizing our relations,
we might also assume that an act with an Other's interests
in mind presupposes a certain freedom, a privileged stance.
-- Since anger or ignorance or confusion are also
announcements of our limitations, these signs might be taken,
as I have already suggested, as invitations for the realizing
of zpd's.

much more to say, but have to go -

Judy

At 12:52 PM 5/29/98 -0000, you wrote:
>The post Viet Nam war years were unexpectedly traumatic for
> the already traumatized bodies and memories of veterans -
>We speak from our bodies. That's innocent. What we say
>next is a matter of responsible conscience.
>
>Judy

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183