Re: Vygotsky and disability

Naoki Ueno (nueno who-is-at nier.go.jp)
Sun, 24 May 1998 17:58:54 +0900

At 5:05 PM 5/23/98 -0700, Mike Cole wrote:
>For anyone interested in a wonderful thought experiment about a world
>in which being blind is the normal and healthy state, see "The Country
>of the Blind" by H.G. Wells (Collected stories). I have found it
>a good way to get students quickly in touch with the issues raised
>by this thread.
>mike

Mike,

I fount out H.G. Well's "The Country of the Blind" in Ray McDermott
& Herve Varenne' paper "Culture as Disability".

Groce, Nora Ellen' s "Everyone Here Sign Langauge: Hereditary Deafness
on Matha' s Vineyard (Harvar University Press) is also relevant to
H.G. Well's short stories as Ray and Herve referred.

'Culture as Disability' was extremely interesting.

It criticizes not only deficit hyposis but differece hyposis of cultural
anthoropology as represented in S. B. Heath.
It is also related to the issue of social or cultural constitution
of "individual".

I remembered Mike and Ray' s research on Alex in various contexts,
that is research on the culturally, interactively constituted
"LD" dropout child .

Naoki Ueno
NIER, Tokyo