Re: people/objects

Naoki Ueno (nueno who-is-at nier.go.jp)
Wed, 20 May 1998 13:50:40 +0900

At 11:16 AM 5/19/98 -0700, Mike Cole wrote:
>There is pretty good evidence to show that very young infants distinguish
>intentional and non-intentional movement by various criteria. What is in
>dispute is how early this difference is visible in infant behavior and how
>it arises/continues to develop.

It reminds me of various robots that move in various ways.
Some kinds of movement of robot make us observe its "intention",
its "volition" or its "intelligence".

However, the design for making us see its "intention" does not
need to design the "real intention" in the inside of robot.
Even very simple design with sensors and other equipments makes
us see its "intention" and its "intelligence".

We can consistently account the actions of these robots by the terms
such as intention, motivation, volition, and intelligence in the inside of
system.
Actually, these accounts are not related to the inside
of robots at all although robotics has been relying on such kinds of
account in desgining.

Naoki Ueno
NIER, Tokyo