Re: Human-Computer Interaction

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Tue, 19 May 1998 20:52:18 +0200 (METDST)

At 22.30 -0400 98-05-18, Jay Lemke wrote:
>Eugene noted that he would not interact with a computer as he would with a
>person, but there are many people who, at least in some important respects,
>do this, and prefer it, and come to good results and insights by doing so.

I wonder if Eugene would disagree with this, somehow I think not.
Computers, cars and keys that tend to stick in the lock -- all work better
if you're nice to them and try to listen to their side of the story, just
like kids and horses, don't they?

Eugene's objection seems to me to be the opposite: to treating people like
computers. Which would not necessarily be a consequence of treating
computers like people, would it?

On a related theme Bill has answered to my question if he was reserving
"interaction" for use in between-people situations. I see. I can agree that
in the ethics of living our lives we should avoid mixing up people with our
lasagna. It is just that for me "interaction" is too useful for other
purposes in describing systemic processes -- I just cannot afford reserving
it for people-only.

Eva