teachersmothers

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Thu, 14 May 1998 09:38:37 +0200 (METDST)

At 14.11 -0600 98-05-13, Katherine Goff wrote:
>But off the tips of my fingers, I would say that there is a lot of
>blurring between the role of teacher and that of mother.

One facet of this is the painful contradiction between use value and
exchange value of "care" in the job of teaching.

The resolution of being placed in the place of mother as powerfully as in
the myth of the fifth grade teacher brings authentic use to the fore, and
tears to teachers' eyes.

Eva
eve.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se