Re: RE: RE: coining phrases

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Tue, 12 May 1998 19:42:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Katherine Goff wrote:
> This folk tale/myth reveals a lot about teachers' values and beleifs, but
> reverse causality, teacher/student relationship, affective learning,
> prolepsis-I think they're all embedded.

yes, like you Kathie, i've noticed that this myth - and i think
it's one of those suburban white middle-class myths like the one about the
$500 Porsche, or drying out kittens in micro-waves, etc. - and too i've
been startled by the outpouring of tears and the hasty passing about of
the box of tissues - and i've noticed that all the men, all three or
four of them - are quite dry-eyed, and i'm feeling a bit bewildered.
because in truth i can't figure out at all exactly what this is saying
about teachers' values and beliefs - unless, do teachers actually see
themselves as the paragon teacher in the myth? If so, i wonder how it is
that medical schools have survived such a rush of students - and i can't
think of a wedding i've been at where the teacher was an honored guest -
or is this a story about how teachers, rather than students, _aren't_
seen, recognized, honored ..... is this what the tears are about?

phillip