7th Annual Women of Color Film and Video Festival

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Mon, 11 May 1998 10:43:24 -0700

>Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:25:02 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Nancy San Martin <nancysm who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu>
>To: lesac-net who-is-at QueerNet.ORG, wmst-l@umdd.umd.edu,
> qstudy-l who-is-at listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu
>Subject: 7th Annual Women of Color Film and Video Festival
>Sender: owner-lesac-net who-is-at QueerNet.ORG
>for more information, please contact wocff who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu privately.
>

>PLEASE DISTRIBUTE BROADLY.
>
> The Seventh Annual Women of Color Film and Video Festival
> Sovereign Images
> 1998
>
> Kresge Town Hall
> UC Santa Cruz
>
> Friday, May 15 and Saturday, May 16
> Admission is Free
>
>Sponsored by The Research Cluster for the Study of Women of Color in
>Collaboration and Conflict and the Center for Cultural Studies at the
>University of California at Santa Cruz.
>
>Films and videos featured in this year's festival foreground the role of
>independent film and video by women of color in dismantling colonial
>imaginaries and recovering histories of resistance. Because 1998 marks
>several anniversaries of U.S. colonial expansion (the 100th anniversary of
>the annexation of Cuba, Guam, Hawai'i, Puerto Rico, the Philippines and
>Eastern Samoa as well as the 150th anniversary of the annexation of half
>of Mexico's territories in what is now known as the Southwest), the theme
>Sovereign Images frames our discussion of how colonized peoples resist and
>survive colonial domination and imperial rule through the production of
>counter memories and transformative imaging practices.
>
>The 1998 Women of Color Film and Video Festival will also honor veteran
>filmmakers Renee Tajima-Pena and Julie Dash, as well as feature visual
>artist Hulleah J. Tsinhnahjinnie, all of whom will be present to discuss
>their own odysseys in the history of women of color visual production in
>the U.S. The Saturday Women of Color Film and Videomakers Workshop will
>also celebrate emergent filmmakers and put these multiple generations of
>critical creativity together in dialogue.
>
>For more information and/or disability related needs, please call:
>(408) 459-3349 E-mail: wocff who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu Internet: http.www2.ucsc.edu/oc/
>
>Opening Night - Friday, May 15th
>
>7:00 My America (... or Honk If You Love Buddha) (1997)
> Discussion with Renee Tajima-Pena
>
>9:30 - DeColonized Bodies Queer Desire
>
>B.D. Women (1994) Inge Blackman
>Sabor a Mi (1997) Claudia Morgado
>Eating Mango (1994) Mari Keiko Gonzalez
>Wavelengths (1997) Pratibha Parmar
>
>Reception to Follow
>

>Saturday, May 16th
>
>10:00 am Women of Color Film and Videomaker Workshop with Julie Dash,
>Renee Tajima-Pena and other veteran filmmakers.
>
>Spaces Limited -- Reservations Required. Contact Maylei Blackwell
>((408) 459-3349 or maylei who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
>
>Noon Countering the Encounter -
>
>Columbus on Trial (1993) Lourdes Portillo
> [...]

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street