Re: coining phrases

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Sun, 10 May 1998 11:48:42 -0700

At 11:20 AM 5/10/98, (The Left Rev.) John Konopak wrote:

>> diane wrote:
>> ah, but does it rupture? or branch out into other networks?
>> might collective perecptions hyperlink?
>> diane

>I think yes. Both? All the time.
>The main difference being the amount and kind of turbulence in the
>system whereupon the network subsists.
>Bermuda grass rhizomes are a lot sturdier in necessary (for bermuda
>grass) ways than spiders (or virtual) webs.
>
>There's a bunch of folk who talk about "memes" who I think would
>answer the question
>>might collective perecptions hyperlink?
>in the affirmative.
>
>As I read it, the founding authority/metaphor for "memetics" is "The
>Selfish Gene," proposing there are analogies in the creation
>distribution dissemination of "meaning"
>--the quotidian _content_ systems--
>to the self-replicative properties of the biological universe.
>
>A form of bio-psychologism?
>Is this a problem?

this rings of bio-determinism, actually. Can you elaborate? It reminds
me of Gesell's theory of recursive growth, theat all life forms imitate
the creation of life in their gestation, from single cell to complex carbon
unit...
but, again, whither politics, history, socio-economics?

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street