Re: coining phrases

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Sun, 10 May 1998 11:48:38 -0700

Eva Ekeblad wrote:

>This brings us back to time
>which is crucially implicated in
>the multiplication of collectives, the branching of networks
>
>animate the model: where will the beginning have gone
>after X steps in the branching simulation?
>
>Eva

The first thought I had when reading this
was, ironically enough, from Piaget, who suggested
that "origins" or "beginnings" don't really matter because

of course the "starting point" changes as one progresses -
as you observe.

Kathie's thoughts on thresholds,
and Mike's comments on the limitations of perception,
these remind me of, oddly (or not) Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past
(1913-1927)

and his "search" for lost time - as I recall, Proust learned that
"meaningfulness"
is only available in remembering, because in the moment of an event
we are too deeply "in" the event to understand, or too immersed to rely on some
form of distancing, or objectivism...I quote:

"But certain 'privileged moments' of memory, evoked by unconscious
associations, mean simultaneous existence in the past and present; they
thus permit a glimpse of the essence common the both, a transcendental
reality independent of time."

He also realizes that it is through relationships that one's "life" gains
connection
with random events (ah the social construction of reality?) -

again, the "beginning" is discursive, everywhere, nowhere,

I personally understand much of this to be about forms of "control"
in an academic sense, needing to maintain continuity in
language practice, or discourse activity, so that
academics can continue to communicate with each other -

of course even this is restricted by disciplines & specializations.
It this were animated more, I'd think it more

recursive, progressing in ever-increasing concentricities,
returning , like a looping curl, to reconnect with what inspired the move
forward -
which is how we construct meaningfulness to our actions, of course.

Recursivity has come up here before, though I can't recall the context.
diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street