RE: Those radical constructivists...

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sat, 9 May 1998 15:41:31 -0400

Hello everybody--

I really like Naoki's points about sociocultural and historical origin of
children's "preconceptions." I'm following closely xmca discussion on
Piaget and Vygotsky (Piaget is rehabilitated from considering him mere as a
psychologist of individual!) and found myself talking to my computer -- I'm
so busy at the end of the semester not having time opportunity to write.

A few words about V&P. I think both Piaget and Vygotsky were "last
modernists" in psychology (i.e., pushing modernism to its limits) and they
both are dear for many of us (including myself) because, in different degree
and ways, they mapped a road to postmodernism in psychology that we are
still struggling with. They both were very modern in their empirical
research (i.e., focus on individual, autonomous skills, cognition in
individual's heads) but many their theoretical insights and concepts defined
and transcended their empirical modernism. Since 60s we have created the
period of Vygotsky and Piaget renaissance of almost talmudist interpreting
and reinterpreting both Piaget and Vygotsky (fighting quote with quote) .
And like in the Historical Renaissance that tried to rebuild ancient Greece
and Rome but instead created a new epoch, we have created new approaches
such as social constructivism, educational constructivism, sociocultural
approach, legitimate peripheral participation, community of practice, and so
on. Is it time to recognize we are not just continuing Piaget and Vygotsky,
that we have a bit different projects? Or should we keep going in
"purifying efforts" (Latour's term) to "access" "real" classics a bit
longer? (I think that postmodernist Bakhtin will be our next renaissance
figure.) My point is not to call for stopping talking about what V&P said
but rather focus on our own projects (using Sartre's term), what we really
after (using Eva's terms). What do you think?

Anyway, I want to comment on "preconceptions" or to be a bit more precise on
"misconceptions."

Two months ago, at a small conference "Designing for science" in Pittsburgh,
Miki (Michelene) Che made an interesting presentation about two types of
misconceptions. She separated "easy" misconceptions from "deep"
misconceptions (I forgot specific terms she were using, sorry). According
to Miki, easy misconceptions can be overturned by individuals (i.e.,
students, children) themselves through their own reflection. Her example of
easy misconception is a misconception that the Earth is flat. Deep
misconception can't be corrected by individual's own device but requires
external guidance. Her example of a deep misconception is the notion of
heat a liquid.

In talking with her, I tried to make two main critical points:

1) Both conceptions and misconceptions are semiotic models (she agreed).
What makes them "correct" or "incorrect" consequences of their usage for
practitioners. For example, it is very confusing to use the model according
to which the Earth is a sphere when you try to find a new bank office in
your town. The flat model of the Earth is more appropriate in this case and
it is not a mere misconception. Some models are privileged in some specific
discourses and practices (e.g., the model of sphere Earth in physics)
because our practice and discourse not yet push the models to their
boundaries yet (e.g., "actually" the Earth is not exactly sphere). This
point makes the notions of misconceptions and true conception relative to an
activity and a practice of their use (she disagrees).

2) If my point#1 is correct than difficulties of understanding of models
originates not in structure of semiotic models themselves (as Miki seems to
believe) but in individuals' access to activities and practices where these
models originate (i.e., make sense, guide participants to their
satisfaction). For example, the idea that the Earth is a sphere was very
difficult for many people in Middle Age and "easy" now even for many
children is, in my view, because there are many activities, discourses, and
practices now (and very few were there) when "the sphere and not flat
Earth" makes sense (e.g., flying on a plane, calling grandma who lives in
another time zone, watching weather prognosis, seeing photos of the Earth,
travelling in another time zone, listening parents talking about the Earth).
I think this point is similar to what Naoki made.

Although Mike disagreed with me, she raised an interesting question of what
the "access to activities, discourses, and practices that require a semiotic
model" means psychologically and how it translates in person's
understanding. She asked if someone does such research. I don't know
anybody. Do you? What do you think?

Eugene