local/global=micro/macro

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Fri, 8 May 1998 21:49:01 -0700

At 11:40 AM 5/8/98, Naoki Ueno wrote:
> It seems to me that locally-organized networks do not go to
>global information automatically.
>
>One of Haraway's point is reconsidering objectivism or
>renetworking objectivism.
>I think it inculdes reconsidering micro-macro distinction.
>
>We can see the voice of ANT, Latour in Haraway as well.
>It means networking or renetworking does not show
>the link between micro and macro.

here is where Haraway 's perspective is so important, that whatever
one
local group begins to "know" is always partially-subjected to
their own specific situations, but is objectifiable ...and that
objectivism is emergent, irrepressible.

Nevertheless, this does not mean that the partialities/fragments are
unknowable to others,
but that it is a potentially relational part of what Others may or may not know.

In my experience, once folks have a sense of their relations with complex
structures,
the desire to tell others in similar situations is also always emergent.

the link is not necessarily "between" micro/macro,
but perhaps "amidst" ...as different agents move around in the contexts of
production, between both micro and macro settings - that is.

A distinction
between micro/macro would, I think, be contradictory to the irretrievable
partiality which "writes it up" - meaning, the distinctions cannot exist
in any material site as a fixed location,
but can only be momentarily representing differing contexts...

or perhaps I've misunderstood something. ?
diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street