Re: Collected Works of LSV

Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky who-is-at ou.edu)
Tue, 05 May 1998 16:55:10

Just to build a bit on Stanton's response to Nate: Vol. 4 of the collected
works includes a lot of what's in Mind in Society. The translations are
different, as are the organizations. Mike and Vera could probably tell us
much more about their thinking behind the collection provided in Mind in
Society, which to me coheres extremely well for a set of papers that were
not originally written as a package; the new collection, which aims to be
more comprehensive, appears to be trying to be more faithful to Vygotsky's
original chronology for writing them, rather than providing modern readers
with a collection of introductory foundational essays. Or at least that's
what I understand to be the purpose of Mind in Society--did I get that right?

So far the collected works have not included a new version of the
Psychology of Art, which is now out of press (originally Harvard UP).
Something else to look forward to.

Peter