Piaget & the Social

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:39:29 -0700

it seems to me that a significant difference is in conceptualizing the
location of any symbolic/mental activity - in terms of social interactions,

Piaget pereceived these to be necessary influences,
but oas external influences, yes? Wouldn't a sociocultural perspective

understand these interactiosn as distributing "cognition" so
that the internal/external are actually indistinguishable?

diane

At 8:03 AM 4/29/98, maria judith wrote:
>hello Kwang-Su Cho,
>I agree with your perplexity. I am working with Piaget's theory and the
>social interaction. Piaget said that it is impossible to get out from
>the concrete operative period to the logical thinking of the adolescence
>if the individual can't interact in the society. I think that there is a
>misunderstanding when people say that Piaget't didn't pay attention to
>how important the social interaction is. The Genetic Epistemology
>explains the logical development of the thinking of subjects who need
>the social interaction to get the goal. forgive my bad english, it is
>not may first language. thanks, maria judith lins
>Kwang-Su Cho wrote:
>>
>> Hello~ XMCA members
>>
>> While reading the article "Cognition as a Collaborative
>> Process" in Handbook of Child Psychology written by Barbara
>> Rogoff(1998), a sentence "meaning is more than a construction by
>> individuals" seemed ambiguous to me. Rogoff(1988) argued;
>>
>> For Piaget, the social process provides individuals the
>> opportunity to see alternatives and explore the logical
>> consequences of their own positions in a meeting of
>> individual minds, as opposed to a shared thinking process.
>> To understand how individuals learn and develop through
>> participation in the sociocultural world, it is necessary
>> to grant that
>>
>> meaning is more than a construction by individuals.
>>
>> Piaget's use of the isolated individual as the
>> unit of analysis, in my view, makes it impossible to develop
>> a sociocultural approach to cognition using his theory as
>> the basis;sociocultural aspects of cognition are not merely
>> the addition of individul changes in thinking resulting
>> from social interaction.(Rogoff, 1998, p. 686)
>>
>> Though trying to figure out the sentence, I'm not sure my
>> understaning. I think Developmental process is a individual's
>> meaning-making process through participating sociocultrual activities.
>> So, in sociocultural approaches, meaning may exist outside a individule,
>> therefore, meaning is given as well as constructed.
>>
>> Help me to make sense the deep meaning of the sentence...
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Kwang-Su Cho
>> TEL : +82-2-361-4723 FAX : +82-2-365-4354
>> Pager : 015-950-3686
>> E-mail : mailto:ksthink@psylab.yonsei.ac.kr
>> midascks who-is-at chollian.net
>> Address: Kwang-Su Cho
>> Cognitive Engineering Lab(B110)
>> Dept. of Psychology, Yonsei University
>> Shinchon-dong, Sedaemun gu,
>> Seoul 120-749, Korea

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street