RE: Scales of "Diversity"

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:09:11 -0400

Hi Mary and everybody--

Thanks, Mary, for raising the issue of the relationship between feminist and
sociocultural approaches. Debra Hicks made an interesting observation of
feminist approaches not being represented in sociocultural conferences.
Together with her, I wonder why? I do not think that sociocultural field is
heavily male dominated as some other approaches and fields of psychology.
For some reasons, leading female and male scholars of sociocultural approach
do not use feminist approaches and issues. Thanks to Debra, I only now
began to learn more about feminist approaches putting their stress on gender
in/equalities, relations, emotions, and personal experiences. I think that
from what I know so far, sociocultural approaches can be benefited a lot
from feminist psychology.

As the editor of the Cultural-Historical AERA SIG Newsletters (what a
monstrous title -- any better ideas for the title?), I want to encourage all
xmcers (and beyond) to send 8-10-page double spaced articles to me on this
topic of relationship/issues of feminist and sociocultural approaches.

As to the question of "who is feminist," I think that people who feel
comfortable to call themselves "feminist" and engage with other people who
call themselves "feminists" are feminists. I know that this definition is
too generic but I like it because it is inclusive.

What do you think?

Eugene