Re: Dialogicality and collaborative learning

Martin Nystrand (nystrand who-is-at ssc.wisc.edu)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 19:18:54 -0500

Much of my book, _Opening_Dialogue_ (Teachers College Press, 1997), is about
dialogicality and collaborative learning.

M. Nystrand

At 07:35 PM 4/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Timothy/Eugene,
>
>At 05:50 PM 4/6/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>I'm developing a list of different ways of conceptualizing collaborative
>>learning. Can anyone suggest any articles developing a connection between
>>Bakhtinian notions of dialogicality and collaborative learning?
>
>The chapter I am currently writing in my thesis describes collaborative
>learning using Yrjo Engestrom's notion of the "activity system". The idea
>is that teacher and student are described as interacting activity systems
>progressively modifying each other's conceptions of the curriculum. So
>far, I have written the theoretical introduction and most of the first of
>three illustrative case studies. It isn't Bakhtin, but it's related.
>You're welcome to take a look if you think it might be worth it.
>
>--glenn
>

>Glenn D. Humphreys
>P.O. Box 11
>Echo Bay, Ontario
>Canada, P0S 1C0
>Telephone: (705) 248-1226
>Internet: glenhump who-is-at soonet.ca
>Fax (Phone/Email to arrange fax transmission): (705) 248-1226

Martin Nystrand
Professor, Department of English (608 263-3820)
Editor, Written Communication (608 263-4512)
Director, Center on English Learning and Achievement (CELA)
Wisconsin Center for Education Research
685 Education Sciences
1025 West Johnson Street
Madison WI 53706