Re: computer modelling of language evolution

Jay Lemke (jllbc who-is-at cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:51:28 -0500

This is a very exciting and interesting proposal. I suspect however that
first one needs to get clear about what will count as communication, and
then be surprised by forms of communication, or communicative effects,
quite different from what we language-users are used to. It will then take
some doing to decide what should count as language communication. I happen
to be going to a conference in May on the evolution of semiotics, and could
post more info on this if people are interested. Some of those attending
also work in the field of artificial life, I believe. JAY.

At 11:25 AM 3/23/98 -0000, you wrote:
>23 march
>from peter jones, sheffield hallam university
>dear friends
>a request for help and information: a group of us are planning a research
>project to investigate whether we can simulate by computer modelling the
>emergence of some kind of language (sign system) within a community of
>'virtual' organisms. the idea is to create some kind of virtual 'animal'
>community and then see what it takes to get them to communicate! far
>fetched? probably!! does anybody know of any work of this kind being done
>elsewhere (ie specifically to do with communication)?
>i'd be grateful for any leads
>thanks

JAY L. LEMKE

CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK