Re: slippery in-group uses of derogatory terminology

Angel Lin (ENANGEL who-is-at cityu.edu.hk)
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 21:17:55 +0800

Hi diane and xmca-ers,

In our conversation data from working class adolescents in Hong Kong
(collected both in and out of youth centres, with our field workers hanging
out with adolescents), a lot of taboo words, slangs, sex-related words,
which are sanctioned by mainstream adults, are creatively and artfully used
by adolescents in their verbal play and teasing rituals. We are still doing
our analysis but will be presenting some work-in-progress in the upcoming
Sociolinguistics Symposium in London 2 weeks from now (March 26-29).

What we find most interesting is that the use of taboo language seems to be
a reflection of the assertion of agency by adolescents, who take pleasure
and pride in breaking / experimenting with / expanding and enriching the
language use rules/norms of the mainstream adult world, and create a new
play space in which they excell and gain peer recognition for their many
artful ways of subverting mainstream adult language use norms. Their
language play consists of not only use of taboo language but also
"inappropriate" (from the adult's perspective) but new and creative uses of
langauge. It's new language uses being made/tried out every day by these
adolescents. It's their game, their chosen activity, their chosen play
space created by themselves in which adult rules and norms are constantly
being contested and creatively subverted.

Angel
(Angel Lin, Dept of English, City Unversity of Hong Kong; e-mail: