Re: affectivity: feelings and emotions -- rhythms

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
26 Feb 1998 02:18:18 -0000

And we shouldn't forget to mention Malcolm Collier and his
father, who was among the first, I think, to film interaction -
he analyzed the asynchrony between white teachers and
Native Alaskan students and the strikingly contrasting
synchrony between Native Alaska teachers & students --
before Fred Erickson did his work.

And even before that or perhaps contemporaneous with the
senior Collier, Jay Haley and others who were the first
to study "communication" in the 1940s -- who was it who
created Labanotation for ballet?

At 01:23 PM 2/25/98 -0600, you wrote:
>At 03:26 PM 2/25/98 +0800, you wrote:
>>Along this line, some interesting works regarding the role of rhythm in
>>cross-cultural /teacher-student interactions:
>>
>>e.g., Scollon, 1981, Tempo, density and silence: Rhythms in ordinary talk.
>>Fairbanks: University of Alaska, Centre for Cross-Cultural Studies.
>> Barhhardt, C. 1982, Tuning-in: Athabaskan teachers and Athabaskan
>>students. In R. Barnhardt (Ed.), Cross-cultural issues in Alaskan education
>>(vol. 2). Fairbanks: Unviersity of Alaska, Centre for Cross-Cultural
>>Studies (ERIC Document No. ED 232 814)
>>
>>Angel
>>-------------
>>Angel Lin
>>City University of Hong Kong
>
>I should also say see also Edward Hall's "The Dance of Life," (Anchor Books,
> who-is-at 1982, passim, but esp. pp 168ff) in which he recounts work done with grad
>students who built a "blind"--an "abandonned" car, if memory serves--near a
>school playground (and obviously ran a certain risk of being apprehended for
>illicit conduct) from which they taped and otherwise observed and recorded
>the doings of children at play. Hall reports that from repeated analysis of
>the data, the researcehrs were able to discern how one person, a girl, was
>able to impose--though that isn't exactly the right word; p'raps "infect"
>better describes the phenomenon, inasmuch as rhythm is a contagion, as
>anyone with even a passing familiarity with a working pile-driver can
>attest--the wholly discontinuous groups on the playground with her own
>"rhythmiticity" simply because her sense of the "beat of life" was the most
>evident and/or obvious, such that by the end of any period during which she
>was on the playground all the other children with whom she was in contiguous
>space and proximity were all "dancing" to her rhythms.
>
>Anent this matter further, I noted from a bulk-mailed flyer that Howard
>Gardener's scheme of multiple intelligences has expanded from seven to
>eight, but that none (still) is primarily concerned with affect--as
>differentiated from "intellectual" cognition, except insofar as spatial and
>musical "intelligences" defy "purely" cognitive characterization in the ways
>that this thread's understanding of affectivity would tease out, even when
>they were not explicitly expressed. Surely, space and the sense of it as a
>mode of understanding is not purely "cognitive," else we could not "feel"
>lost in it or estranged by it, or alienated within it.
>Fascinating discussion, btw.
>| John Konopak, EDUC/ILAC,820 VanVleet Oval,U.of OK.Norman,OK73019|
>|E-mail: jkonopak who-is-at ou.edu; Fax: 4053254061; phone:4053251498 |
>| "You may not be able to change the world, but at least |
>| you can embarrass the guilty." --Jessica Mitford (1917-1996) |
> [...]

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183