critical psychology

Mike Cole (mcole who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:20:27 -0800 (PST)

Members of the xmca community might like to make contact with the
people involved in setting up a critical psych course/list/community.
mike
>From psych-virtual-outgoing-request who-is-at massey.ac.nz Wed Jan 28 03:31:30 1998
Comments: Authenticated sender is <iap1 who-is-at basil.acs.bolton.ac.uk>
>From: Ian A Parker <i.a.parker who-is-at bolton.ac.uk>
To: psych-virtual who-is-at massey.ac.nz
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:34:32 +0000
Subject: critical psychology -what is(n`t) it?

Dear virtual people,

I`m putting together a reading pack for a core module in Critical
Psychology for our MSc programme (scheduled to start this September).
I would like your reactions and thoughts (different things?) We`re
going to use the Fox & Prilleltensky book as our main text with
classic papers from the radical traditions in psychology in a
dialogue with it. If you think one of these isn`t `critical` or you
have a suggestion for something that is a classic that really should
be included, please let me know asap (and maybe send me a copy,
realmail?). Thanks in advance, Ian.

Critical Psychology Conceptual Foundations - Reading Pack

PART ONE: HISTORY AND THEORY

1
F&P Chapter - Intro. Prilleltensky and Fox
Ingleby, D. (1972) Ideology and the human sciences: some comments on
the role of reification in psychology and psychiatry.
F&P Chapter - History. Harris
Wertz, F. J. (1994) Of rats and psychologists: a study of the
history and meaning of science.

2
F&P Chapter - Critical Theory. Richardson and Fowers
Sampson, E. (1989) The deconstruction of the self.
F&P Chapter - Discursive. Parker
Holzkamp, K. (1992) On doing psychology critically.

3
F&P Chapter - Intelligence. Cernovsky
Rose, N. (1979) The psychological complex: mental measurement and
social administration. Carey, A. (1977) The Lysenko syndrome in
western social science. *?
F&P Chapter - Law. Fox

PART TWO: INDIVIDUALITY AND ABNORMALITY

4
F&P Chapter - Personality. Sloan
F&P Chapter - Developmental. Burman
Riegel, K. F. (1976) The dialectics of human development. ?or anti dev
from Morss?
Haraway, D. (1989) Metaphors into hardware: Harry Harlow and the
technology of love.

5
Sampson, E. (1981) Cognitive psychology as ideology.
Billig, M. (1985) Prejudice, categorization and particularization.
Ratner, C. (1971) Totalitarianism and individualism in psychology.
Broughton, J. (1988) The masculine authority of the cognitive.

6
F&P Chapter - Abnormal. Hare-Mustin and Maracek
Brown, P. (1981) Antipsychiatry and the left.
Jacoby, R. (1975) Theory and Therapy II: Laing and Cooper.
Pilgrim, D. (1992) Psychotherapy and political evasions.

PART THREE: CULTURE AND DIFFERENCE

7
F&P Chapter - Social. Pancer
Harre (1974) The positivist-empiricist approach and its alternative.
Moghaddam, F. M. (1987) Psychology in the three worlds: as reflected
by the crisis in social psychology and the move toward indigenous
third world psychology.
Plon, M. (1974) On the notion of conflict and its study in social
psychology.

8
F&P Chapter - Cross-Cultural. Moghaddam and Studer
Bulhan, H. A. (1993) Imperialism in studies of the psyche: a critique
of African psychological research. Howitt, D. and Owusu-Bempah, J.
(1994) The racism of psychology chapter. Sloan, T. S. (1990)
Psychology for the Third World?

9
F&P Chapter - Feminist. Wilkinson
Weisstein, N. (1973) Psychology constructs the female: or, the
fantasy life of the male psychologist.
F&P Chapter - Lesbian and Gay. Kitzinger
Brown, L. S. (1989) New voices, new visions: toward a lesbian/gay
paradigm for psychology.

PART FOUR: MORAL/POLITICAL ENGAGEMENT

10
F&P Chapter - Qualitative. Kidder and Fine
Danziger, K. (1985) The methodological imperative in psychology.
F&P Chapter - Ethics. Brown
Mixon, D. (1974) If you won`t deceive what can you do?

11
F&P Chapter - Political. Montero
Martin-Baro, I. (1994) chapter from the liberation psychology book.
F&P Chapter - Community. Prilleltensky and Nelson
Riger, S. (1993) What`s wrong with empowerment?

12
F&P Chapter - Critical look. Rappaport and Stewart
F&P Chapter - Practice. Nightingale and Neilands
Chamberlin, J. (1990) The ex-patients` movement: where we`ve been and
where we`re going.
Danny disability activist paper *?which one?

**********
Ian Parker
Professor of Psychology
Discourse Unit
Psychology
Bolton Institute
Deane Road
Bolton BL3 5AB UK
email: I.A.Parker who-is-at Bolton.ac.uk
http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/psych/
tel: (+44) (0)1204 903150
fax: (+44) (0)1204 399074