Re: cognitive apprenticeship

Rachel Heckert (heckertkrs who-is-at juno.com)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:36:50 -0500

Kathi and list,

Your experiences as a classroom consultant are very interesting, even if
somewhat discouraging, but there's hope! Teaching adults how to use
computers is something with which I have a great deal of experience, and
in most places I've worked I've always been the "expert." I do have an
AA in computer programming on mainframes (before PC's were common), but
none of the tutoring I've done has been in programming - it's almost all
in helping non-experienced people do everyday things on a PC. The
difference seems to be that since I have some idea of what's going on
inside the box I was less afraid to just sit and punch buttons, and thus
eventually teach myself..

Most novices are genuinely afraid that if they hit the wrong button
they'll blow the (expensive) machine up. Learning in this situation
takes time and the willingness to go on despite mistakes, in a modality
which is almost entirely procedural, with a trusted guide who will avert
possible disasters. Declarative knowledge, of the type with which most
teachers are currently trained to work, doesn't help. (I can fix
problems and then when I'm asked, "Why did you do that?" I usually can't
give an answer any more exact than, "Well, it _seemed_ like the logical
next step.")

The teachers you have been working with may have suffered from several
problems.

a) Teachers are taught that they _must_ be in control and _right_ at all
times. This isn't just a matter of some ego ideal - it translates into
terms of job security and continuing to be able to pay the rent. They
don't want to see their students watching them make mistakes or look
stupid in front of someone who may report back to their boss. Possibly
you could arrange for individual tutorials at a time when the students
aren't around.

b) The individual teacher is intimidated by the machine and by the
presence of the "expert." It all looks so mysterious - and in most
cases the "expert" sits there punching buttons while giving a running
commentary in incomprehensible jargon.
("Nerd"-type people have tried to do this to me on numerous occasions
when I needed some specialized instruction, and I just tell them to get
up and let me do it myself. But then I already have the necessary
self-confidence. )

(BTW, I prefer the terms "senior" and "junior" rather than "expert" and
"novice." It feels more "right" to me because it's more personal, and
what is an apprenticeship if not personal?)

The first thing I do is sit the person down in front of the computer and
sit or stand behind their shoulder. Then I _tell_ them which button to
push (sometimes literally guiding their hand the first few times if it's
necessary), watch them observe the effect, make a comment and go on to
the next step. The important thing is that the student is always _doing_
the action him/herself, not _watching you_ do it. Joking and reassurance
are essential, e.g. "It always does exactly what you tell it - that's the
problem!" The key word is "demystify." Which means, of course, letting
go of the omniscient "expert" role as we usually like to play it. After
whatever time seems appropriate, I start asking _them_ which button they
think should be pushed, or item menu clicked, etc. Sooner or later
(usually sooner) it becomes a game for them, and they don't want you to
be too directive!

The idea is to empower the junior member of the dyad, not confer some
sort of mystical ordination and gnostic knowledge. Most
non-computer-literate people really would like to learn, if only to break
the feeling of being at something else's mercy. The trick is to make it
look achievable so they're willing to take the risk, and not have to fear
losing face in the process.

Try an approach like this and see if you can't get a more active response
from the teachers you work with. If you do, please let me know how it
works for you.

Rachel Heckert