opening up learning thu teacher research

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:50:43 -0800

At 7:17 PM 1/15/98, Cindy O'Donnell-Allen wrote:

>>what, in your opinion, would have to change, in your specific place of
>>practice, for teachers to organize more support, and for learning to open
>>up...?
>>diane

>When teachers have such little say in what they "learn" or how they are
>"trained," is it any surprise that an inquiry orientation is seldom found
>in classrooms either? If learning is to truly take place for teacher or
>students, I think it must begin with their questions, problems, interests,
>and concerns, and that those in institutional positions of power (e.g.,
>administrators or teachers) would find systematic wasy to help learners
>meet their own needs.
>
>As a member of a teacher research group, I think teacher research is one
>(only one, not THE one) powerful answer to the question Diane poses.

Interesting. How many teachers are in this research project? And what do
you see as changing as a result of being involved with the research? Are
the administrators also involved?
diane