Re: Re(2): Discourse structures & Confused in California

Rachel Heckert (heckertkrs who-is-at juno.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:54:00 -0500

Kathie and xmca'ers,

I appreciate your preference for creative/extempore learning, but there's
a rub, and Mike in his post (immediately after yours) hits on it exactly.
Our system is designed to produce _failure_ just as much as success.

Some people may be able to carry off a free-fall approach to learning
with success, particularly if they're older or have done other types of
tasks without guidance. However, many of the people currently in the
middle of "receiving an education" in our current system are so
sensitized to the possibilities and punishments for failure that the fear
itself will inhibit any kind of creativity or chance-taking, overtly or
covertly.

When I taught a senior-level lab for experimental design in psych, I had
several pre-med students in the class, and if you want to see what fear
can do, watch a pre-med (particularly an immigrant who's carrying the
flag for his/her family) as they contemplate even a minute drop in their
GPA.

You may have had a fortunate personal history, or just be one of the
high-risk types (like me) who will jump in no matter how deep the water
is. However, it is neither fair nor productive to expect everyone to
operate like an intellectual Green Beret. We have made a societal Holy
Grail out of creativity, while not always remembering that underlying
most creativity is a foundation of competence in that specific area.

We do not have to put down restrictions and guidelines, but a few
friendly suggestions can be taken as such, and free up the reticent to
make their own contributions, which can turn out to be surprisingly
worthwhile.

Rachel