Re: scaffolding

Felice Francesco Carugati (fcarugati who-is-at economia.unibo.it)
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 10:16:16 +0100 (MET)

dear julia, could you send the complete reference of berk & winsler's
article? thank you very much, Felice Carugati

t 00.10 03/01/98 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Kate Garretson wrote:
>
>> Dear Xmcaers,
>> I'm an enthusiastic lurker on xmca and want to
>> thank all more active participants for the
>> wonderfully stimulating posts of the last year;
>> may xmca and all its members flourish in 1998.
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a good
>> article-length discussion of "scaffolding" in
>> the Vygotskian tradition. I'd like to introduce
>> teachers of language and literacy to the concept
>> in the context of apprenticeship learning. That
>> would include a complex sense of the task being
>> taught, and ways to engage learners in thinking
>> about what they're doing, how they're doing it
>> and the like. Is there an accessible text folks
>> use in teacher education?
>>
>> cheers!
>> Kate Garretson, Kingsborough Community College
>> The City University of New York
>>
>Kate,
>
>You may want to look at Barbara Rogoff's (1986) Adult assistance of
>children's learning in T.E. Raphael's _The contexts of school -based
>literacy_
>
>There is also an article by Rosenshine & Meister (1992) "The Use of
>Scaffolds for teaching higher-level cognitive strategies", _Educational
>Leadership_, 49, 7, 26-33
>
>A very accessible text that I use in my early childhood course on social
>development is Berk & Winsler's _Vygotsky & Early Childhood Ed_.
>
>Good luck!
>Julia
>
>Julia M. Matuga
>Dept. of Counseling and Educational Psychology
>School of Education, 4021B
>Indiana University, Bloomington
>

> "The theoretician's prayer: 'Dear Lord, forgive me the sin
> of arrogance, and Lord, by arrogance I mean the following...."
>
> --Leon Lederman

!!!attention to the new professional phone!!!!
+39.51.258475 thank you very much!!

!!!!ATTENTION ONCE MORE TO THE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS

fcarugati who-is-at scform.unibo.it

Prof. Felice Carugati
Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Educazione
via Zamboni, 34 I 40126 BOLOGNA Italy
tel prof. +39.51.258475 FAX + 39.51.228847