Re: scaffolding

Julia Mame Matuga (jmatuga who-is-at indiana.edu)
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 00:10:23 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Kate Garretson wrote:

> Dear Xmcaers,
> I'm an enthusiastic lurker on xmca and want to
> thank all more active participants for the
> wonderfully stimulating posts of the last year;
> may xmca and all its members flourish in 1998.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a good
> article-length discussion of "scaffolding" in
> the Vygotskian tradition. I'd like to introduce
> teachers of language and literacy to the concept
> in the context of apprenticeship learning. That
> would include a complex sense of the task being
> taught, and ways to engage learners in thinking
> about what they're doing, how they're doing it
> and the like. Is there an accessible text folks
> use in teacher education?
>
> cheers!
> Kate Garretson, Kingsborough Community College
> The City University of New York

Kate,

You may want to look at Barbara Rogoff's (1986) Adult assistance of
children's learning in T.E. Raphael's _The contexts of school -based
literacy_

There is also an article by Rosenshine & Meister (1992) "The Use of
Scaffolds for teaching higher-level cognitive strategies", _Educational
Leadership_, 49, 7, 26-33

A very accessible text that I use in my early childhood course on social
development is Berk & Winsler's _Vygotsky & Early Childhood Ed_.

Good luck!
Julia

Julia M. Matuga
Dept. of Counseling and Educational Psychology
School of Education, 4021B
Indiana University, Bloomington

"The theoretician's prayer: 'Dear Lord, forgive me the sin
of arrogance, and Lord, by arrogance I mean the following...."

--Leon Lederman