mediating what's good for kids

Mike Cole (mcole who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu)
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 09:07:56 -0800 (PST)

The following query arrived on my screen and I thought that it
raised in an interesting way issues we have been discussing here
about how you know when your "science" is doing harm, by your
standards.
mike
>From funner who-is-at pol.net Thu Jan 1 16:06:48 1998
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 18:07:56 -0600
>From: Carl Meisner <funner who-is-at pol.net>
To: mcole who-is-at ucsd.edu
Subject: (no subject)

In society, at present, there are many divorces, single parent families,

and gays raising children. The courts are the mechanism we use to decide

custody, visitation, "what is best for the child", and multiple other

child-related issues. You know who judges are, and you know their

biases. I am unaware of any scientific studies that would provide the

courts with some objective data on how to chose the caretaker(s) and

which roles are best filled by which caretaker at specific times in

their lives. Also, are there child gender-related issues? Are there any

psychologic tests/sociologic studies that can prove which person(s)

would be a better caretaker? Are there any studies showing that a

mother is better than a father, or a straight better than a gay in

raising a "mentally healthy" child? It seems to me that the bottom line

is: how will the child grow up most happy and "mentally healthy"? Are

there other factors eg. socioeconomic status, religion, etc. that would

also provide positive or negative indicators? Could you advise me about

any studies that would shed some OBJECTIVE light on these, or related,

areas? It would appear that this is an area ripe for psychologic or

sociologic research, which the journals may find timely.

Thanx,

Carl Meisner

10222 Windsor Ln.

Houston, Tx. 77031