Re: Theory (long)

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 21:38:06 -0500

diane wrote:
>like with James' thunder, the body is always the "silence-just-gone;"
>the body has been so removed from academic practice, the flesh and sting of
>time, certainly, imprints on flesh; sounds & scents & touch trigger sudden
>shifts, significantly so...
>
>it is perhaps out of these kinds of analyses that a language of the
>body-in-the-social and the social-in-the-body might emerge , for clearly
>
>social theory without the "flesh and sting" of time is like identity theory
>without the sociocultural situatedness of context -
>diane

it's a lot of risk and a lot of work.
But you may be right.... If done well. -- Pat Williams is my star.
It can also be suffocatingly self indulgent -- the social
assimilated to the subject (I can think of at least one
exemplar in performance theory....)

Judith

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183