Re: more about time

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 19:07:09 -0800

At 4:51 PM 11/22/97, Mike Cole wrote:
>Diane writes:
>How do you see "large-scale processes" affecting (effecting?) events
>on shorter-than-'normal' time scales?
>
>isn't this concept only available 'historically'?/'descriptively'?
>

>Diane-- It is a solution (not THE solution) to this problem
>that I call a mesogenetic methodology.

Aaaaah! Synthesis!! *thank you*!!

I'll do some poking around I think in Cultural Psych;
meso=mediating?

<snip>

>I think that this range of time scales is consistent with
>the activist/interventionist/practice-based approach that
>I have been inarticulately gesturing at here and in
>Cultural Psych.
>
>We are dealing with several different kinds of heterogeneity,
>and when time is the topic, the word I have learned to use
>is heterochrony. I think this is what Jay and others have
>been discussing with you.
>mike

thanks for the clarification, perspective, such an inclusive-gesture; really.
I appreciate
it quite a lot.

heterochrony: hmmm, could you hum a few bars? :-]

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca