Re: dD (Gee!)

lenora.c.de.la.luna.1 (lenora who-is-at purdue.edu)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 14:13:49 -0500 (EST)

Francoise,
My apologies. I never know what people know & don't know. Anyway, Gee
(1990) makes a distinction between discourse (e.g., conversations,
stories, research articles, etc.) and Discourse--"a socially accepted
association among ways of using language, of thinking, feeling,
believing, valuing, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself
as a member of a socially meaningful group or 'social network,' or to
signal that one is playing a socially meaningful role'" (p. 143).
Discourse (with the capital D), then, is a "sort of 'identity kit' that
comes complete with instructions on how to act, talk, and often write,
so as to take on a particular social role that others will recognize"
(p. 142).

Lenora