Re: HR 2614 (fwd)

Ken Goodman (kgoodman who-is-at U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:10:23 -0700 (MST)

I'm forwarding this twice forwarded message which represents the views of
DOE and the administration on 2614 and their support (albeit qualified) of
it.

I think as many epople as possible need to respond with particular
emphasis on whether the bill does or does n't control a national
definition of reading and reading research and what its effects would be
on state and local decision making.

Ken Goodman

*******Now we must learn to live under water*******
----------------------
Kenneth S Goodman, Professor
Language, Reading & Culture, University of Arizona, Tucson
kgoodman who-is-at U.Arizona.EDU
520 6217868 Fax 520 7455285

> the Education and Workforce Committee, and is the result of a very
> bipartisan process of negotiation. The Administration sent a Statement
> of Administration Policy (SAP) to Congress on November 7, stating
> support for the bill and listing concerns that need to be addressed in
> the Senate. Among these concerns was a statement that the bill is
> overly prescriptive and could potentially limit the flexibility of local
> educational agencies in designing their reading program.
>
> The Administration, however, does not believe that this bill would limit
> reading programs to pure phonics-based instruction, nor do we believe
> that the definition of reliable replicable research is code for research
> that solely supports phonics instruction.
>
> There is indeed mention of "phonics" in the definition section of the
> bill under the definition of reading, but it does not prescribe phonics
> as the preferred method of teaching reading. During negotiations, the
> Department argued that a definition of reading was not needed in the
> bill and as we move to the Senate we will continue to argue that a
> definition is not needed.
>
> The definition of reading in the bill, however, is one that the
> Department believes is balanced enough that we felt comfortable moving
> ahead with the legislation. It states, "The term 'reading' means the
> process of comprehending the meaning of written text by (a) the ability
> to use phonics skills, that is, knowledge of letters and sounds, to
> decode printed words quickly and effortlessly, both silently and aloud;
> (b) the ability to use previously learned strategies for reading
> comprehension; and (c) the ability to think critically about the
> meaning, message, and aesthetic value of the text."
>
> The claim that reliable replicable research is used to limit programs
> to phonics instruction is not an accurate portrayal of this research
> as defined in the bill. Local reading programs in the bill must be
> based on reliable replicable research, but the definition is broad
> enough that solid research will fall within the limit of the
> definition. The final definition, as agreed upon and stated in the
> bill, is "The term 'reliable replicable research" means objective,
> valid, scientific studies that -- (a) include rigorously defined
> samples of subjects that are sufficiently large and representative to
> support the general conclusions drawn (b) rely on measurements that
> meet established standards of reliability and validity; (c) test
> competing theories, where multiple theories exist; (d) are subjected
> to peer review before their results are published; and (e) discover
> effective strategies for improving reading skills."
>
> The Department has no intention of prescribing a type of reading
> instruction or supporting a bill that does just that.
>
> Please feel free to email me at ann_o'leary who-is-at ed.gov if you have further
> questions or concerns about this legislation.
>
> Thank you.

> [...]

* DEBRA GOODMAN *
* Learners and Thinkers Enterprises (LATE) *
* goodma15 who-is-at pilot.msu.edu *
* 3665 Wakefield Berkley, MI 48072 *
* 248) 547-9817 FAX: 248) 545-3051 *